Tuesday, August 27, 2013

30 pounds lighter

So it has been over a month since I have written anything down.  I had planned to write on a more regular basis, but I have not done that.  Life has gotten in the way.  Since then, my total weight loss adds up to over 30 pounds.  I still have a long ways to go, but I am almost 1/3 of the way to my final goal.  Eating this way isn't too hard most of the time, but occasionally I get a little depressed that eating has lost enjoyment and just become a way to fuel my body.  I guess that is what needs to happen though for me to be successful.  Since the 4th of July, I have survived vacation and my birthday without a weight gain.  My loss has been slow but steady, about 1-2 pounds a week.  For my birthday, I did treat myself with a blizzard and really enjoyed it.  But the other day I tried to eat a white roll and it really didn't taste as good as I expected, so I spit it out and threw it away. 

I am still reading books and trying to decide if I should stay completely low carb with lots of meat and vegetables, or potentially explore going most vegetarian with some meat a couple of times a week.  I have cut down what I was eating in the morning.  I have decided that too much bacon, eggs, and red meat is not good for me.  So I am trying to eat other things and having some meatless meals may be part of it.  I talked to a friend that switched to eating vegetarian and he said that he feels better and has lost over 25 pounds.  So it is something to consider.  I can slowly move that direction.  Salads are the mainstay of what I eat. 

Exercise is where I am doing much better than in the past.  I got my bike out a few weeks ago and have been riding it more, especially in the mornings.  I was doing a lot of swimming before they closed the aquatic center.  I need to make time to go to the rec center in town to swim, either in the morning or at noon.  Swimming is such good exercise overall, not only for my legs and cardio, but also for my arms.  Just moving 5-7 times a week has been a goal and I am doing well with it.  My biggest obstacle is getting out of bed in the morning.  Once I am out of bed, then I am good to go and enjoy working out (swimming, walking, and riding my bike). 

I was thinking the other day, what do I want to accomplish?  I know that my overall goal is to lose about 102 pounds, which is a lot.  But why?  I want to be healthier.  I want to feel better about myself.  I want to look better in clothing.  I want to be able to fit in a roller coaster or amusement park ride without the employees looking at me and saying, you'll have to wait for the extra large chair.  I want to be more physically fit.  I want to fit better in airplane seats and be able to put the seat belt on easier.  I know that there are other things that I want, but these are some of them.  I read one thing that said to concentrate on only 5 pounds at a time, I think that I can do that and it breaks it down more.  Right now, I am ready to break another decade in weight.  When I do that, I will be where I haven't been for a long time.  So I need to keep moving forward slowly and see what I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment