Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day and Resolutions

Today is the start of a brand new year, 2014.  Last year I reached a personal milestone when I celebrated my 50th birthday.  This year, I plan to focus on me on several fronts.  This doesn't mean that I plan to be totally self centered and not think about others before myself, but I do need to focus on several things. 
  • Eating!  This is where I need to continue to focus and think about myself.  I watched half of Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead today.  It helped to reinforce what I have been reading about carbohydrates, meat (especially beef), and the benefits of eating wholesome and healthy foods.  My resolution is to concentrate on getting 7-8 vegetables and fruits a day, focusing my diet more on those foods instead of meat.  I plan to continue to limit carbs, except for those found in whole foods such as fruits.
  • Exercise: This is another area that I need to continue to focus upon and make time to work out.  To achieve this goal, I plan to sign up for a personal trainer, once school begins.  This will help me to remain accountable.  I can get up earlier in the morning to work out and find ways to add active movement to my day, such as walking to work, taking stairs more often, and standing instead of sitting.  I plan to change up my workouts and try different things.  To help with this, I bought a bike trainer to ride my bike inside during the winter months.
  • PhD Research: Finally, I plan to set aside 2 hours every day to work on my research so that I can get my first three chapters written and present my proposal in the spring.  I need to make time to get my research accomplished.  
  • Weightloss: I would like to accomplish my goal of losing at least 100 pounds by the end of 2014.  At this point I have lost over 40 pounds.  I maintained through the holidays and now can focus on it again.  I still have over 60 pounds to go.  Personally I would like to get to a weight between 160 and 170.  I think to do this, I can try different things with my eating plan.  I would like to move towards vegetarianism.  But with eating right and exercise, I should be successful.
Today, I ate a few more carbs because I made another batch of aebleskiver.  I enjoyed them, knowing that I won't have them again for a while.  Having time off from work has been nice because I can exercise when I want and for the amount of time that I want.  That changes tomorrow when I go back to work, except for the weekends.  I worked out this afternoon with 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer and then a 20 minute walk to the video store.  I came home and did a 20 minute resistant band workout and then day 2 of the abs challenge.  With this, I continue to move forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment